One of the largest contributors to job dissatisfaction is the lack of technology at work. Many times, employees are not able to complete tasks in a timely fashion due to outdated technology that hinders their performance.
Do improvements in technology lead to greater job satisfaction?
Yes! Good modern technology can actually help improve employee performance and satisfaction, substantially, if implemented correctly. Let’s take a look at 5 ways to use technology to improve productivity and job satisfaction.
- Allow employees to work from anywhere. One thing we have learned in the past few years is that quite a few jobs can be done from home if proper technology is put into place. Remote Access, Cloud Services, and VoIP has enabled people to work at the dining room table as if they are sitting at their desk at the office.
- Flexible work schedules. Kids get sick, employees get sick, work runs late, kids have activities, etc. There are many reasons for people to work non-traditional hours and you should consider it for your employees. As long as the work gets done, there is no problem with working off hours.
- Lifecycle manage your technology and make sure people are not using old outdated equipment. Nothing is more frustrating than waiting for something to happen on a slow computer when you have a looming deadline. New technology helps make that a non-issue for your employees and lets them know you value their time and don’t want to waste it.
- Invest in your employees. If there’s a software package they use on a daily basis, properly train them on how to use it. Since most applications are updated frequently, they might not know some new features that could make them more efficient and productive.
- Communicate with your employees. Regularly meet to see what they are up to and how they work. There is usually room for improvement with company processes and your employee might know how to do something better or faster than you do.
There are many ways to improve employee job satisfaction with technology. Start out by implementing one or two of these suggestions and you will be on your way to seeing tangible results in no time!
Need help? To determine the technology you need, contact us and we can assess your needs together.